Friday, December 2, 2011

MURIWAI HEARINGS 2002

These are some pictures from the Hearings almost 10 years ago.

The hearings back in 2002 were awesome and Ngai Tamanuhiri was able to rise to occassion and show the crown and our neighbours that we have a solid grasp of our history. The work the WHAKATIPU AKE group done leading upto the hearings showed the depth of our understanding and all Tamanuhiri can feel very proud about how we represented our ancestral rights.



My name is Warren Neil Karepa Pohatu. I was born in 1961 and I am the youngest child of Mataiata Bartlett Pohatu and Rata Saunders Wyllie. Mataiata is the eldest son of Te Huauri Pohatu and Takotohiwi Bartlett. Rata is the daughter of Tutekawa Wyllie and Hariata Matenga. All four of my grandparents lived in Muriwai and all four have substantial whakapapa to Tamanuhiri, Rongowhakaata, Mahaki, Ruapani, Tahu Potiki, Porou-Ariki and all the subsequent links that that entails. Having analysed my whakapapa and taking into account where I grew up, I state without fear of offending the others that I am first and foremost Ngai Tamanuhiri. My whakapapa is buried here in our urupa. The mana that sustained my whakapapa throughout the fifteen generations since Tamanuhiri’s time was sourced from the land between Kopututea and Paritu. Here is a small sample of that whakapapa:

1600
Tamanuhiri
Tamanuhiri
Tamanuhiri
Tamanuhiri
1625  
Tamaraukura
Paeaterangi
Tamaraukura
Paeaterangi
1650
Rangiwaho
Puraho
Rangiwaho
Puraho
1675
Tutekawa
Tapunga
Tutekawa
Tapunga
1700
Kaiariki
Tauwhiwhia
Mapuna
Haerengarangi
1725
Kino
Putangimaru
Matatangaroa
Rangiwahipu
1750
Kahuterua
Matuku
Whawhaia
Kahutiaterangi
1775
Hinekino
Te Uhu
Tamahou
Ngarangituehu
1800
Tarawahirangi
Kaingakiore
Tamaitohia
Pita Maenene
1825
Ripeka
Himiona Riki
Te Mihi
Wi Tarapoto
1850
Eru Pohatu
Paora Riki
Oriwia
PeneTupeka
1875
Mokiterangi
Hera Keta 
Te Paea
Ene Piri 
1900
Te Huauri
Takotohiwi
Tutekawa
Hariata








No comments: